1. Don't roll over when I tell you this, I am not a theatre major anymore. I think I have decided I want to teach, just like you did. I might even pursue a law degree. That is all to be determined soon enough.
2. I am almost finished with my freshman year of college. That is crazy isn't it? You cross my mind every day too. I walk into gas stations, I see the zero calorie ICE drinks, and I think of you. I listen to Vance Joy, and I hear the lyrics. Every time he says "the closest thing to Michelle Pfeiffer that you've ever seen," I think of you. I think of your love for Michelle.
3. I have matured, boy have I matured. When I start letting my emotions get the best of me, I remember all of the things I learned from you. I start reading the five agreements. I remember how you said that it is important to make time for yourself.
4. So, about that time for myself -- I have started to find an interest in photography, and I hike sometimes too. I love being outside. Oh, I finally got my record player back. I listen to Billy Joel, Elton John, and a whole lot of Ed Sheeran. I wish you could hear his new album. It makes my heart warm. I work out every day now. I have lost 30 pounds, your journey still inspires me today.
5. Our boy Chance the Rapper won his grammy, finally. I have been waiting on that day from the time I heard his first mixtape my freshman year of high school. He even donated 1 million dollars to Chicago schools. He's doing more for education than that girl Betsy they are talking about. I will get to her in a minute.
6. West Florida is going "ok." I really am making the best of it. I joined a fraternity, and I am the voice of the softball team. I've made a few friends, and lots of acquaintances. Oh, and I know you want me to give you some tea on my girl situation. To be honest, I am not ready. I can barely do my own laundry. What I will tell you, is that it will happen when it happens. When she likes Ed Sheeran or "Dear Evan Hansen" as much as I do, that will be the day. School is treating me well, my 3.2 grade point average gets it done. I am still working on it though.
7. I was going to close by talking about the last election, and US DOE Secretary Betsy Devos, but you're in too good of a place to be stressing. I really miss you man. I wish you could be here to see all of the great things that I am doing. However, I know you're looking at my life from the best seat in the house.
8. I teared up a little bit when I wrote this. However, I just can't help but smile every time I think of you. It was you that pushed me to be who I am today. It was you, that urged me to pursue my dreams. It is because of you that I will continue to write, it is because of you that I will continue to share stories. One day, when I am in a room teaching students myself, I will tell lots of stories. The most important one? That's the one about that one teacher Rod Durham.
So. Much. Love.
- Your friend Will